Protecting your data with the best VPN for PC is a smart decision. However, selecting which VPN to use can be tricky because many choices exist. Since they all seemingly have the same features, it can be impossible to decide. Here are the seven best VPNs for PC users in 2023.
Best VPN for PC
- ExpressVPN – Best Overall VPN for PC
- NordVPN – Best VPN for Windows PC
- Surfshark – Best Budget-Friendly VPN
- Mullvad VPN – Best VPN for Flat-Rate Payment
- Cyberghost – Best VPN for Simultaneous Devices
- Windscribe – Best VPN for Custom Plans
- ProtonVPN – Best VPN for Streaming
Money-Back Guarantee (in days)
Contract Length (in months)
Starts at $8.32/month, billed annually
1 – 12
Chrome, Firefox, Edge
Starts at $3.29/month on a 2-year subscription
1 – 24
Chrome, Firefox, Edge
5,398 total servers
Starts at $2.49/month on a 2-year subscription
1 – 24
Chrome, Firefox, Edge
3,200+ total servers
1 – 120
837 total servers
Starts at $2.29/month on a 3-year subscription
1 – 39
7,900 total servers
Starts at $1/month on a custom plan
1 – 12
Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera
Starts at $4/month, billed annually
1 – 24
1,700+ total servers
ExpressVPN is the best overall VPN software in the world. This is because ExpressVPN works incredibly well across Macs, PCs, Androids, and iPhones. ExpressVPN offers outstanding privacy protocols because it does not track location, browsing history, or the content of downloads. This level of flexibility and security places ExpressVPN at the top of our list.
Why we chose it: ExpressVPN is the most powerful and user-friendly VPN for PCs. You can take full advantage of its advanced settings to customize your experience or use the recommended settings if you just want to set it and forget it. Read our in-depth ExpressVPN review to learn more about its features.
- 24/7 customer support
- Easy-to-use desktop apps
- Excellent speeds across all tasks
- Not the cheapest VPN provider
- Only connect five devices at once
- No multi-hop connections
Express VPN carries three different payment periods. Each plan has a 30-day money-back guarantee, and you can with cryptocurrency:
- 1 Month – $12.95 per month
- 6 Months – $9.99 per month, $59.94 billed every 6 months
- 12 Months – $8.32 per month, $99.84 billed every 12 months
ExpressVPN tops the list of the best VPN for PC because of its comprehensive set of impressive features. While ExpressVPN is also the best mobile VPN, the ExpressVPN desktop app is even better.
You’ll immediately notice an intuitive and easy-to-use interface from the moment you download and launch ExpressVPN on your PC. The interface includes massive on/off buttons and choose location buttons. You can simply choose a location and run the VPN right away.
The PC software is also packed with an extensive set of premium features. For example, ExpressVPN offers smart server recommendations, kill switch technology, and multiple VPN protocols. You can also control the VPN from a browser extension.
ExpressVPN provides outstanding speed performances for local service and modest results for long-distance connections. The speed will only get faster as ExpressVPN now gives access to its proprietary Lightway protocol.
If you have any questions such as how to use a VPN, ExpressVPN offers professional 24/7 customer support via live chat or email. This way, you can get your questions answered whenever issues arise.
Why we chose it: NordVPN is the best VPN for Windows machines because of its included security and privacy benefits. Each NordVPN subscription comes with military-grade encryption, multi factor authentication, an ad blocker, malware protection, and a tracker blocker. Read our ultimate NordVPN review to learn more about its features.
- Offers multi-hop, split tunneling, and Tor connections
- Easy to set up and use
- Ample server locations
- Cheap plans only included in long-term subscriptions
- Clunky interface at times
- Renewal price is higher than introductory rates
NordVPN offers three unique payment options:
- 1-Month Plan – $11.99 per month
- 1-Year Plan – $4.99 per month, billed $59.88 for the first year, then $99.48 per year
- 2-Year Plan – $3.29 per month, billed $78.96 for the first two years, then $99.48 per year
NordVPN is one of the top-ranked VPNs on many ‘best of’ lists for several great reasons. To begin with, NordVPN carries an extensive server network of 5,398, allows for six simultaneously connected devices, and is trusted by 14 million users around the globe. It also has an excellent track record of unblocking most streaming services out there.
The Windows client is easy to set up, and NordVPN constantly updates the client to make it easier to use. The client itself features a compact interface with all the basic and advanced tools you need to browse the web freely.
NordVPN takes security very seriously. This provider offers a certain number of Double VPN servers. These servers pass your data through two separate VPN servers, making things even more secure. The Windows kill switch works brilliantly as well. A VPN kill switch prevents your device from making unprotected connections.
All of these features are enhanced by NordVPN’s NordLynx protocol. This is a new-generation VPN technology built around WireGuard. NordLynx improves connection speeds and NordVPN server connections without compromising security and privacy.
More people are coming around to the benefits of a VPN; in fact, 85% of adult internet users are aware of VPNs. NordVPN makes it easy to get started and protect your data.
Surfshark is an affordable VPN for PC that offers over 3,000 servers and over 110 server locations. This VPN provider comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and 24/7 live support. What’s unique about Surfshark is that it also offers unlimited connections. This means you can cover as many PCs, phones, or Macs as you’d like.
Why we chose it: Surfshark is the best VPN for PC users who want a lot of value at an affordable price. This is because Surfshark offers a low monthly price, high speeds, and unlimited devices. Read our complete Surfshark review to learn more about its features.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Well-designed user interface
- Most affordable long-term plans
- Antivirus costs extra
- No ability to receive a dedicated IP address
- Kill switch issues
Surfshark provides three different pricing options:
- 1 month – $12.95 per month
- 12 months – $3.99 per month, billed $59.76 every 12 months
- 24 months – $2.49 per month, billed $59.76 every 24 months
Surfshark is an outstanding VPN service for beginners wondering, what is a VPN? This is because Surfshark’s program is extremely easy to use. Once you launch the app, you’ll be presented with a clean and simple interface. The software will let you know exactly what to press and how to get started.
As you continue using the program, you’ll realize how more and more features open up as you expand. Some of these features include OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard security protocols. Private DNS, AES-256 bit encryption, and a kill switch are also waiting in case your connection drops.
If you want to use your VPN to watch streaming platforms, Surfshark carries a long list of streaming services. Surfshark can get you access to Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, Netflix, and many more.
Although the OpenVPN speeds were lackluster, the WireGuard speeds had highs of 720-790 Mbps which is extremely quick. Surfshark is the best option if you want an affordable VPN and can commit to a long-term subscription.
Although Mullvad VPN isn’t the most polished VPN we’ve seen, it provides a secure connection and protects your privacy for an unbeatable price. Mullvad VPN is unique because it hyper focuses on offering secure and affordable VPN protection. MullvadVPN is radically transparent as a company and provides an honest and genuine VPN product.
Why we chose it: Mullvad VPN is the best VPN for flat-rate payments because it costs $5 per month no matter how long you subscribe for. This is more affordable than any other VPN’s standard monthly rate. Read our ultimate Mullvad VPN review to learn more about its features.
- Consistent pricing across any time period
- Multi-hop connections
- Extremely transparent
- Awkward desktop interface
- Servers in fewer countries compared to other VPNs
- Account number system may be confusing
Mullvad VPN offers a single flat monthly rate at $5 per month.
Not bothered by the flashing lights and “innovative” features used in most VPNs, Mullvad VPN focuses on security and privacy. With your $5 subscription, you can connect five devices simultaneously, use a multi-hop connection by enabling bridge mode in the app, and access to the newer WireGuard protocol.
Mullvad VPN doesn’t offer additional tools of enhanced privacy protection such as Tor access, ad blockers, and malware protection. Still, Mullvad VPN has become a community favorite because it’s part of a minimal list of VPNs with port-forwarding and no logging evidence.
Furthermore, Mullvad VPN doesn’t use affiliates or paid reviews as you see with other major VPN providers. Lastly, Mullvad VPN has complete server transparency, is open-source, and hasn’t sold out to a major conglomerate.
Since CyberGhost is based in Romania, CyberGhost will never need to hand over customer data to the government, unlike many other VPNs. Furthermore, with thousands of servers around the world, you’re guaranteed to find one that gives you fast WiFi speeds.
Why we chose it: CyberGhost is the best VPN for server selection because it has over 7,700 available servers to choose from. To learn more, read our in-depth CyberGhost review.
- Large and well-distributed server fleet
- Allows up to seven simultaneous device connections
- Excellent speed test ratings
- Expensive compared to other VPNs
- Lack of third-party audit
- Confusing privacy policies
CyberGhost carries four pricing plans depending on your subscription length:
- 1 Month – $12.99 per month
- 1 Year – $4.29 per month, billed $51.48 every year
- 2 Years – $3.25 per month, billed $78 every two years
- 3 Years + 3 Months – $2.29 per month, billed $89.31 every three years
CyberGhost is an impressive VPN host because of its high-performance PC app. The best feature CyberGhost offers is its connection speeds when using WireGuard, topping out at around 850 Mbps.
This makes CyberGhost one of the fastest VPNs. This goes along perfectly with its streaming capabilities, unblocking every streaming service we tested. Overall, the Windows app is stable, and the only issue we’ve noticed is notifications not being shown.
CyberGhost continues to make a name for itself in the VPN sector and will soon challenge behemoths NordVPN and ExpressVPN.
Windscribe is a unique VPN because it offers multi-hop encryption. This means your web traffic will be encrypted twice as you’re browsing online. Windscribe performs well across Windows PCs, and there’s also a free option for users in the US, UK, Hong Kong, and other countries.
Why we chose it: Windscribe is the best VPN for custom plans because you can build your own plan based on your preferences. No other VPN provider on this list offers this option. Read our ultimate Windscribe review to learn more about its features.
- Multi-hop subscription
- Fast on Windows PCs
- Free subscriptions in certain countries
- Limited Netflix accessibility
- Subpar speed on Mac computers
- Looser than average logging policy
Windscribe offers two standard plans and one custom plan:
- Monthly Plan – $9 per month
- Yearly Plan – $4.08 per month, billed $49 every 12 months
- Build A Plan – Inquire for pricing, starts at $1 per location, per month
Windscribe is an excellent VPN with many features and a user-friendly interface. However, you shouldn’t expect the best speeds or the fastest support with Windscribe like you’d find with ExpressVPN and NordVPN.
Instead, Windscribe is a decent VPN that’s versatile and could suit most users. However, many people drift toward Windscribe because of its generous free plan. Windscribe’s free service offers 11 server locations and 2GB of data.
While the free version is outstanding for beginners, the paid version offers unlimited simultaneous connections, P2P and torrenting on most servers, and logging policies to safeguard your privacy.
ProtonVPN is unique because it offers a plan which is one of the best 100% free VPNs available. The free plan offers access to 147 servers in three countries, one VPN connection, medium speed, a strict no-log policy, and the ability to access blocked content. However, ProtonVPN also offers three paid plans with even more features and accessibility.
Why we chose it: ProtonVPN is an excellent VPN for streaming and speed because of its VPN Accelerator, Quick Connect, and Auto Reconnection features. It also unblocks any streaming you want to watch.
- Easy to use on Windows PCs
- Above average speeds
- Unblocks Disney Plus, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video
- No 24/7 customer support
- Some features locked behind pricier Plus plan
- Relatively small server network
ProtonVPN offers four price tiers:
- Free – $0 per month
- Basic – $4 per month, billed $48 annually
- Plus – $8 per month, billed $96 annually
- Visionary – $24 per month, billed $288 annually
ProtonVPN continues to make strides in the PC VPN software sector because of its great Windows 10 client. If you’re interested in a sleek and intuitive VPN that offers many features and settings to play with, ProtonVPN is a great option.
Once you open the client, you can navigate the app with its map interface or a collapsed list format. Either way, ProtonVPN highlights which servers support P2P or Tor with crystal clear icons.
ProtonVPN’s best credentials are as a truly private VPN. This is because ProtonVPN is fully audited with a zero-logging policy. Furthermore, ProtonVPN features open-source apps, powerful encryption, and additional features like Secure Core servers and Tor over VPN to provide a bulletproof privacy tool.
Methodology for the Best VPN for PC
Each VPN included in the list above meets the following criteria below. We used these metrics to rank the VPNs from strongest to weakest. Here’s the methodology we used for the best VPN for PCs.
- Advanced security features: The VPN you select should have state-of-the-art security features such as an automatic kill switch, strong encryption, a strict no-logs policy, and DNS/IP leak protection. Security is the core feature of any VPN because a VPN is supposed to keep your data safe from third parties and cybercriminals.
- PC compatibility: Since you’re looking for the best VPN for PC, it’s important to find a VPN that offers robust Mac and Windows software. The VPN provider should also regularly update the software with new features and enhancements.
- Fast speeds: A high-speed VPN allows you to stream content and play video games without stuttering or lag. The VPNs included on this list all have above-average speeds compared to their competitors.
- Server network size: A large server network allows you to change your IP address flexibly to many different locations. Furthermore, a larger number of servers can speed up your connection since it’s easy to find a nearby server, and other users are more spread out. Therefore, server congestion is reduced.
- Streaming support: As the popularity of traditional TV dwindles, more and more people use streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu to watch their favorite TV shows. The best VPNs can unblock all streaming sites and allow users to switch their IP address to a new location to access different content.
- Multiple device connections: We live in a technological time period where most individuals own more than one device. For this reason, your VPN needs to support multiple different simultaneous device connections. This way, you can secure all of your devices with a single subscription.
- Money-back guarantee: Another crucial feature of the best VPN for PC is a money-back guarantee. With a trustworthy money-back guarantee policy, you can test out the VPN and decide if it’s right for you. If not, you can get a refund for your subscription and move to another VPN provider.
- Reliable customer support: The best VPN software provider will offer 24/7 live customer support. Issues can strike at any time during the night, so you must have somebody to get help from if worst comes to worst.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Best VPNs for PC
Below are some of the most popular questions surrounding the best VPN for PCs.
Bottom Line on Best VPNs for PC
Using a VPN is a convenient way to protect your privacy online. You can also use a VPN to circumvent unwelcome internet restrictions as well. ExpressVPN and NordVPN are the top two VPN software because of their speed, server locations, and security protocols. Surfshark is a great option if you’re looking for an affordable long-term VPN solution.