There are three kinds of people! Those who make it happen; Those who let it happen; Those who are surprised by what’s happened! How well are you making it happen in your career?
To make it happen starts with taking a hard look at how well you are managing your career in today’s very changing workplace.
Here’s a Quick Quiz From the Career Success System.
How many of these statements can you honestly answer YES to?
1. I know what is really important to me and I am living and doing it.
2. I really like the work I do and I’m not hanging on marking time.
3. My skills are up-to-date and valued in the marketplace.
About Your Company:
4. I am a key player. I know what it takes to succeed here.
5. I have good relationships with my boss, peers and others here.
6. I am aware of how my company, division or business unit is doing.
About Your Future:
7. I am developing a personal brand to distinguish me from others.
8. I can use my skills and experience in other areas of the company.
9. I am visible to potential employers and others who can advance my career.
10. I know what it will take to get from where I’m now to where I want to be.
I was able to answer YES to ____ questions:
8-10: Take a bow.
You are doing well in managing your career. But don’t rest on your laurels. Continue to keep your eyes and ears open for changes that can impact your success. Use this e-book stay on the ball.
4-7: Push forward.
You doing OK but don’t wait for a career crisis to take action. Pick two or three questions you were not able to answer. Use this e-book to sharpen your career management skills.
0-3: Don’t lose hope.
You can manage your career. Use this e-book to learn all you can about winning the career game.
Career Success Tip:
Invest in your career. Most people forget they really have two jobs. The first is to do what you get paid for and to do it well. The second is to do what’s required to ensure your career is where you want it to go and not leave it to someone else. Are you ready to take charge, take action, take control of your career? Next post: Career Success Part 1: Don’t Let Your Guard Down
Do you want to develop Career Smarts?
- For more resources, see the Library topic Career Management.
- Start with the Career Success System.
- Sign up for Career Power: 101 success tips.
- Fast track your career. Be part of a Success Team.
- Need a speaker? Get the Edge Keynotes-webinars-workshops.
- Find career and leadership boosters in the Smart Moves Blog.
- Copyright © 2012 Marcia Zidle career and leadership coach.