What makes a great life and a great career?
Here’s what high performing professionals and managers have said during my seminars on The Career Edge.
Key #1: Life Comes at You Fast – Be Prepared, Plan and Anticipate
- During change, don’t be an ostrich hiding your head in the sand. Be aware of what’s going on.
- Be open to opportunities and even challenges. It can change your career trajectory.
- At the same time, have focus – it provides clarity for what you want to accomplish.
Key #2: The Power of Attitude – We Can Change our Lives with Optimism
- Be resilient. Challenges, disappointments, mistakes happen. The important things is to move on.
- Stay away from negative people. If they’re not happy for themselves, they certainly can’t be happy for you.
- Visualize success, talk success, believe in your success. Expect success to happen.
- Thank the people who have made a difference in your life and career.
Key #3: NETWORK = Net WORTH
- Increase your connections. Success is all about relationships – building,maintaining, leveraging.
- By increasing your network, you build the number of people that can impact you and that you can help in return.
- Make it easy for people to help you. Give them the tools they need to make connections and introductions for you.
- Be happy for others, acknowledge their success, celebrate their achievements. They will remember.
Key #4: Feedback is a Gift – Information is Power
- Be open and acceptable to both good feedback and constructive criticism.
- Nobody takes the time to give feedback to someone they don’t like. They just walk away.
- Then decide on how you are going to turn that feedback into positive behavior and skills.
Key #5: Politics is NOT a Dirty Word
- It’s all about knowing your organization and how things get done.
- Assess the situation and understand what’s important to decision makers.
- Be realistic. There’ll be times when it’s better to compriomise and times when it’s important to take a stand.
Key #6: Do a Great Job Every Day
- Know your strengths and use them in the most effective way you can.
- Don’t stop learning – new ideas, new skills, new ways of doing things.
- Make sure your work serves the larger goals of the organization.
Key #7: Remember, a Fulfilling Life Is a Journey Not Just a Destination
- Take time to enjoy – stop and smell the roses!
- Realize that you’re the only person who can lead your life – so don’t wait for others to take charge.
- Know that people remember not what you say but how you made them feel. So make people feel good.
Career Success Tip:
Success is more than working hard, being busy and burning a lot of energy. It’s a laser focus on what matters. So examine all your “to-do”s and pick the ones that count the most – the ones that can make a big difference in your life and career.
Do you want to develop Career Smarts?
- For more resources, see the Library topic Career Management.
- Start with the Career Success System.
- Sign up for Career Power: 101 success tips.
- Fast track your career. Be part of a Success Team.
- Need a speaker? Get the Edge Keynotes-webinars-workshops.
- Find career and leadership boosters in the Smart Moves Blog.
- Copyright © 2011 Marcia Zidle career and leadership coach.