- Guidelines for accomplishing nonprofit capacity building are included in the books Field Guide to Consulting and Organizational Development with Nonprofits, Strengthening Nonprofit Performance: A Funder’s Guide to Capacity Building and Coping With Cutbacks: The Nonprofit Guide to Success When Times Are Tight.
Capacity building has fast become a major topic among nonprofits and management support organizations (funders, associations, training centers, consultants, etc.) that provide services to nonprofits.
There are a variety of definitions for capacity building. Perhaps the most fundamental definition is “actions that improve nonprofit effectiveness” (from Investing in Capacity Building by Barbara Blumenthal, published by The Foundation Center). Some other discussions about capacity building refer to the concept as actions that enhance a nonprofit’s ability to work toward its mission.
The concept of capacity building in nonprofits is similar to the concept of organizational development, organizational effectiveness, and/or organizational performance management in for-profits. Capacity
building efforts can include a broad range of approaches, eg, granting operating funds, granting management development funds, providing training and development sessions, providing coaching,
supporting collaboration with other nonprofits, etc. Prominent methods of organizational performance management in for-profits are beginning to be mentioned in discussions about capacity building, as well, for example, the Balanced Scorecard, principles of organizational change, cultural change, organizational learning, etc.
Information on this topic of the Library will acquaint you with the concept of capacity building in nonprofits, including offering you a broad background from some suggested previous readings, numerous perspectives on capacity building from numerous articles, and then a review of various common functions in nonprofits (eg, boards, the role of CEO, programs, marketing, fundraising, finances, evaluation, etc.). The topic closes with a review of major methods of organizational performance management.
Sections of This Topic Include
- Suggested Previous Readings
- Articles About Capacity Building
- Common Functions in Nonprofits
- Organizational Performance Management Approaches
- Shutting Down a Nonprofit
- Organizational Structures and Design
- Organizational Change
- Organizational Evaluations
- Organizational Performance Management
- Related Library Topics
Learn More in the Library’s Blogs Related to Nonprofit Capacity Building
In addition to the articles on this current page, also see the following blogs that have posts related to Nonprofit Capacity Building. Scan down the blog’s page to see various posts. Also, see the section “Recent Blog Posts” in the sidebar of the blog or click on “Next” near the bottom of a post in the blog. The blog also links to numerous free related resources. Get updated on nonprofit capacity building.
- Library’s Consulting and Organizational Development Blog
- Library’s Human Resources Blog
- Library’s Leadership Blog
- Library’s Project Management Blog
- Library’s Supervision Blog
Suggested Previous Readings
- Performance Management: An Overview (basic concepts in performance management)
- Introduction to Organizations (defines organizations, their basic parts, dimensions, life cycles, etc.)
- Guidelines, Methods and Resources for Organizational Change Agents
- Organizational Sustainability
- An Overview of the Field of Organization Development
Articles About Capacity Building
There are an increasing number of publications about the general topic of nonprofit capacity building. The following list will help you to get started. Some items on the list are not available as online articles and need to be ordered from the publisher.
- Common Types of Capacity Building
- Building Capacity in Nonprofit Organizations, Urban Institute Press (online and can take a while to download)
- Effective Capacity Building in Nonprofit Organizations (online and can take a while to download)
- How to “Do” Capacity Building, order from Council on Foundations.
- Lessons from the Street: Capacity Building and Replication (online and can take a while to download)
- Nonprofit Capacity Building Toolkit, order from Authenticity Consulting, LLC
- Strengthening Nonprofit Organizations: A Funder’s Guide to Capacity Building
- Reactive Versus Planful Nonprofits
- 4 Rules of Non-Profit Capacity Building
- An Extraordinary Model of Capacity Building
- 5 Reasons Why Culture is So Important to Your Nonprofit
- Capacity Building Manual
- Course 15: Creating Value in the Nonprofit Sector
- Get Thy Nonprofit Self Into Therapy!
- Delivering Training and Technical Assistance
- Identifying and Promoting Effective Practices
- Some Guiding Principles for Your 2012 Goals
- Great Research for Nonprofits: Millennial Impact Report – Involve the 20-35-Year-Olds
- Meeting the Requirement for at Least 3 Proposals to Get Funding
- My Concerns About the Use of “Templates”
- Nonprofit Lifecycle Analysis
- Strategic Planning – Make Sure That It Is a Call to Action
Common Functions in Nonprofits
The following links are to information about the major functions typically carried out in nonprofit organizations. An understanding of these functions is important to the success of capacity-building efforts.
- Preparation for Planning a New Venture
- How to start a nonprofit venture (everything you need to know to start a nonprofit)
- Complete Free Toolkit for Boards
- Role of Chief Executive
- How to conduct nonprofit business planning (guidelines and samples)
- How to conduct strategic planning (guidelines and samples)
- Basic Guide to Program Design and Marketing (complete guidelines)
- Advertising and Promotions (basics, guidelines, and samples)
- All About Marketing (basics, research, pricing, promoting, etc.
- All About Sales (basics and advanced information)
- Public and media relations (basics and advanced information)
- Nonprofit Fundraising and Grantwriting
- Free Online Guide to Staffing
- Volunteer Management
- Basic Guide to Managing Nonprofit Finances
- Basic Guide to Program Evaluation
Organizational Change and Performance Management Approaches
The following approaches are some of the most common for enhancing the performance of an organization.
- Balanced Scorecard
- Cultural Change
- Knowledge Management
- Management by Objectives
- Guidelines, Methods, and Resources for Organizational Change Agents
- Organizational Learning
- Program Evaluation
- Strategic Planning
Shutting Down a Nonprofit
There seems to be an increasing number of people who believe that, once a nonprofit has addressed the social need that it was started to meet, then it should shut down — or “sunsetted.”
- Why Charities Should Have an Expiration Date
- Thinking the Unthinkable — Maybe We Should Shut Down
- Closing Down the Right Way
For the Category of Capacity Building (Nonprofit):
To round out your knowledge of this Library topic, you may want to review some related topics, available from the link below. Each of the related topics includes free, online resources.
Also, scan the Recommended Books listed below. They have been selected for their relevance and highly practical nature.