Large-Scale Interventions for Organizational Change
Sections of This Topic Include
Related Library Topics
Learn More in the Library’s Blogs Related to Large-Scale Interventions
In addition to the articles on this current page, also see the following blogs that have posts related to Large-Scale Interventions. Scan down the blog’s page to see various posts. Also see the section “Recent Blog Posts” in the sidebar of the blog or click on “next” near the bottom of a post in the blog. The blog also links to numerous free related resources.
- Library’s Consulting and Organizational Development Blog
- Library’s Leadership Blog
- Library’s Supervision Blog
Overview of Large-Scale Interventions
The field of Organization Development sees large-scale organizational change as being across most or all of an organization. However, with the recent focus on transformational — fundamental and radical — change, practitioners often refer to large-scale interventions as means to accomplish transformational change. Types of large-scale interventions are also referred to as whole systems models.
In Leading Large Scale Change: A Practical Guide, the authors define large-scale change as “the process of mobilising a large collection of individuals, groups and organisations toward a vision of a fundamentally new future state, by means of:
• Key themes that can make a big difference
• A shift in power and a more distributed leadership
• Comprehensive and active engagement of stakeholders
• Mutually reinforcing changes in multiple systems and processes”
The following links gives a broad overview of various large-scale interventions.
- Guidelines and Resources for Whole Systems Change
- Using Real-Time Strategic Change
- When Should You Use the Change Management Readiness Checklist
- Guidelines and Resources for Whole Systems Change in Organizations
Some Specific Large-Scale Interventions
The following might be considered examples of large-scale intervention techniques, although there certainly has been argument about what technically qualifies as such an intervention.
- Marv Weisbord’s Future Search Conference
- Dick Axelrod’s Conference Model Redesign
- Carter McNamara’s Integrated Peer Learning Communities
- Guidelines and Resources for Whole Systems Change in Organization
- Cultural Change
- Guidelines, Methods and Resources for Organizational Change Agents
- Leading Large-Scale Change: A Practical Guide
- Large-Group Interventions
For the Category of Organizational Development:
To round out your knowledge of this Library topic, you may want to review some related topics, available from the link below. Each of the related topics includes free, online resources.
Also, scan the Recommended Books listed below. They have been selected for their relevance and highly practical nature.