Whether for-profit or nonprofit, organizations should have certain kinds of insurance. Liability insurance is highly recommended for property and automobiles. Worker’s Compensation Insurance is state-required when you have employees. Part of the decision about what insurance to buy depends on the nature of the business. For example, if it has a lot of assets, it might consider theft and property damage insurance. You may want life insurance on you and other critical personnel in your organization. You also may want to consider various other forms of insurance, for example, Directors and Officers (if you have a Board of Directors) or business interruption.
Sections of This Topic Include
- Basics — Types of Insurance and What They Cover
- Buying Insurance
- Additional Information for Nonprofits
- Reference Materials
- General Resources
- Related Library Topics
- Crisis Management: What to do once a crisis already has occurred
- Risk Management: Guarding against theft, disasters, security systems, etc.
- Safety in the Workplace: About types of workplace injuries, programs to reduce accidents, etc.
Learn More in the Library’s Blogs Related to Business Insurance
In addition to the articles on this current page, see the following blogs which have posts related to Business Insurance. Scan down the blog’s page to see various posts. Also, see the section “Recent Blog Posts” in the sidebar of the blog or click on “Next” near the bottom of a post in the blog.
Basics: Types of Insurance to Consider and What They Cover
Also see Intellectual Property (patents, trademarks, copyrights)
Also, see Property Insurance Law
Worker’s Compensation Insurance
- Worker’s Compensation Insurance
- Do I Need Worker’s Compensation Insurance?
- Worker’s Compensation FAQ
- Life Insurance Checklist
- Life Insurance (definition)
- 10 Things You Should Know Before Purchasing Life Insurance
Additional Information for Nonprofits
- Basic Overview of Liability Insurance (including Directors and Officers Insurance)
- Nonprofits Insurance Alliance of California
- Nonprofit Risk Management Center (extensive information about nonprofit risk)
- First Nonprofit Mutual Insurance Company
Directors and Officers Insurance
- Directors and Officers Liability Insurance
- How Important is D&O Insurance?
- The D&O Diary
- Nonprofits Especially Need Protection Against D&O Liability Risks
- Welcome to the Insurance Information Institute
- Life Insurance, Health Insurance, Term Life Insurance, and Annuities from QuickQuote
- Unemployment Insurance
- Insurance Glossary
For the Category of Insurance (Business):
To round out your knowledge of this Library topic, you may want to review some related topics, available from the link below. Each of the related topics includes free, online resources.
Also, scan the Recommended Books listed below. They have been selected for their relevance and highly practical nature.