Many of my coaching clients have trouble delegating. It’s an essential skill of managers and leaders because delegation frees up time as well as develops people.
Here is a simple 5 step delegation model to assure what you delegate meets your expectations.
1. Identify the need – What are you doing that someone else could do? What gaps need to be filled? What is important that is not getting done?
2. Identify the person – Who has the appropriate skill set? Who needs to be developed?
3. Meet with the person and partner to create the delegation plan
Let them know why you chose them
Communicate what entails a successful outcome
What are the non-negotiables – budget, time, new equipment, people resources?
What are the performance standards/expectations?
At what milestones/dates will the person report back progress to you?
4. Have the person implement the delegation plan
5. Follow up with support and coaching
Be sure to check-in if milestones/dates are missed
Acknowledge a job well done as appropriate
For more resources, see the Library topic Personal and Professional Coaching.
Pam Solberg-Tapper MHSA, PCC – I spark entrepreneurial business leaders to set strategy, take action, and get results. How can I help you? Contact me at CoachPam@cpinternet.com ~ Linkedin ~ 218-340-3330