Performance Management for any Application: Guidelines for Implementation
Sections of This Topic Include
Guidelines for Initial Implementation
Guidelines to Continuously Evaluate Your Implementation
Guidelines for Initial Implementation
The activities in performance management are a recurring cycle of highly integrated
activities. Over time, they occur as a very meaningful conversation among leaders
in the organization. The styles in conducting the activities range from implicit
and unfolding to explicit and well planned, depending on the culture of the
organization, the complexity of its operations and the reason for conducting
the performance management process.
- Be sure to form a team to oversee the implementation. There will be much
more expertise, energy and wisdom in a team than if one person is responsible
for it all.
- Do not view performance management as a completely new set of activities
in your organization. Realize that you have probably already have been doing
some of them. Now, you are building upon them, expanding them and improving
- Similar to the requirements
for accomplishing significant change in organizations, the process of
performance management will not be successful if it does not have the full
ongoing support and oversight of the top management in the organization, as
well as the ongoing effective delegation from the supervisors of those implementing
- Follow the Pareto
Principle that suggests that, in most things in life, the first 20% of
effort generates the first 80% of success. This is true for first implementing
the performance management process. Get it implemented during the first year
and improve it as you go along.
- Early in the implementation, decide if you will be using the traditional
approach or the progressive
approach to performance management. The approaches can be quite different.
- While implementing the process, be sure that you see all the perspectives
that are involved. All of us have biases or natural ways that we automatically
perceive and interpret things in the world, including how we come to conclusions
about them. Many times, we are not aware of those biases, despite the significant
role they play in what we see and do not see.
Preferred “Lens” Through Which You View Organizations
a Mindset? What’s Yours?
Guidelines to Continuously Evaluate Your
As you implement and operate the performance management process, whether it
is for an overall organization, team or individual employee, always be asking
- How might we be more effective in aligning our preferred performance results
with the overall goals of the organization?
- How might we be more effective in selecting our performance measures?
- How might we be more effective and efficient in continuing to monitor those
- Was our documented performance plan complete and accurate enough?
- How might we improve our performance appraisal process?
- How successful were we in improving performance where it was needed?
- What changes should we make to our performance management process?
- What changes should we make to how we evaluate the process?
Now, go back and make the necessary changes to how you operate your performance
Suggested Additional Readings
The Role of Strategic Evaluation in Nonprofits
Basic Guide to Program Evaluation
Assessment and Evaluation Tools
to Evaluate Organizations
Learn More in the Library’s Blogs Related to Organizational Performance
In addition to the articles on this current page, also see the following blogs
that have posts related to organizations. Scan down the blog’s page to see various
posts. Also see the section “Recent Blog Posts” in the sidebar of
the blog or click on “next” near the bottom of a post in the blog.
The blog also links to numerous free related resources.
Consulting and Organizational Development Blog
Human Resources Blog
Project Management Blog
For the Category of Organizational Development:
To round out your knowledge of this Library topic, you may
want to review some related topics, available from the link below.
Each of the related topics includes free, online resources.
Also, scan the Recommended Books listed below. They have been
selected for their relevance and highly practical nature.